Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Mile in My Shoes

You hear it all the time from people who feel misunderstood: "Walk a Mile in My Shoes." I admit, I have said that to some pretty important people in my journey and thankfully, I have held their ear despite the fact that this phrase for a chronic Lyme patient, at least this one, is completely absurd. Why, you might ask? It's a completely valid sentiment. But ON THE REAL... Um... I haven't walked a mile in my own shoes for a couple of years now, so who am I to say that?

Well, seeing as I am determined to be "remission-ish", I just took myself for a walk. It wasn't a mile in my own shoes, but it was about, well, let's say just over a 1/2 mile. And it sucked. I was careful to actually pay attention to what it feels like to "walk a mile in my shoes". Well, for starters, ouch. My feet are hot and swollen like I am 9 months pregnant, but that's a given on any day. What was really interesting was the sensation that EVERYTHING was being weighed down - my hands pulled to the ground, my shoulders pushed down HARD toward the ground, my HEAD pushed down. I felt the pressure in every singe vertebrae. It was to bright outside so I saw black spots. You know the drill. UGH.

I live in a neighborhood where the houses are build in a circle that create a complete mile. I wondered when I left if I would make it. Not so much. But I tried. I actually got out there. Alone. No one nagging me but myself.

So next time I tell you to walk just over a 1/2 mile in my shoes just know that I just did it and it sucks. You might not want to go there.

Maybe I'll get to 3/4 of a mile sometime this week. Or maybe just 1/2-ish again. At this point, any movement is forward movement. And so, besides that and me wanting to sleep all day, everything is GRAND. LOL.

Dr. Jemsek's Quarterly Newsletter was just published and features a very brief synopsis of my story. Follow the link and show him some love.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please hit the submit button only once. Your comment will be submitted for moderation and posted within 24 hours. Thank you!

~Andrea