Wednesday, October 30, 2013

CRASH

Turns out that week one was a complete nightmare. I knew it would be. He warned me. Eight antibiotics at once for five days in a row and on days four and five I added two more. I was virtually unable to do anything that first week. My parents had to feed Mini dinner and read her bedtime stories, then I would hobble to lay in bed with her and listen to a few songs before kissing her good night. It's hard for her and for me.

I had a scary moment on Friday when I was in the shower washing my hair. I had barely even been downstairs all week. Certainly hadn't eaten much. But I managed to shower, but all of a sudden, I lost the strength in my legs and collapsed without warning, crashing my head into the shower's glass door. I am so lucky I didn't shatter the door. But I did feel as if I was a bit shattered. After all, if one cannot safely shower, one has lost a basic life skill of survival. I cried my way through the rest of the shower, sitting on the floor, trying to get the rest of the shampoo out. I used a spray conditioner instead of daring to stand again in the shower. And yes, I am a bit shower traumatized.

I am now on my second week of antibiotics and it is only two. I feel I have more brain capacity back and after a full week upstairs in bed in a dark room, I write to you happily from my couch downstairs. I do not have reliable strength back in my legs and I am thinking about getting a wheelchair for temporary use outside the home. As it is, I go down the stairs on my butt, afraid I will relive the days when falling down the stairs was the norm.

I am still watching the West Wing. I love this show. I am finally at a point in the series that I have not yet seen, so it's fun to see what ends up happening. DO NOT TELL ME ANYTHING. All I can say is, if Josh and Donna do not end up together, I will lose my mind.

As for pain, it's largely managed, with the exception of my legs and my spine, though my spine is better than last week. Concerning is the tingling in my limbs. This should not be happening while on antibiotics, so I need to email Dr. J. Multiple Sclerosis symptoms are not ideal while on the antibiotic protocol, although I am sure it's a Herx reaction. My "sleep architecture" has change and my clock is now upside down again. I cannot fall asleep or feel tired without my nighttime cocktail of meds.

On the upside of life, my book has been sent to print and A Twist of Lyme: Battling a Disease That "Doesn't Exist" will be live on Amazon, B&N, and virtually everywhere in the next couple of weeks and in bookstores and libraries over the next few months. You can also order directly from the publisher at www.archwaypublishing.com (a division of Simon & Schuster). So, that is very exciting. As you can see from the website, I have a cover that is eye-catching and real. It's been in my head for over a year and the graphic artists at S&S gave it life. I am thrilled.

Thank you for continuing to follow my journey. I hope you look forward to seeing its beginning and all that has happened to present day.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please hit the submit button only once. Your comment will be submitted for moderation and posted within 24 hours. Thank you!

~Andrea