Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Blue Skies


Blue Skies

He promised me that there would be blue skies 
That if I listened and did as he said, that they would come to me
Better days, happier times, I supposed
I spent months looking up at the sky, never to see any blue
I would stare for hours and hours
Watching the birds fly, first north for the summer
Then south for the winter

Only to return again

I examined each cloud to see if my blue sky might be hiding behind it
Never to be seen, never to be found
I counted the stars, again and again, losing count and starting over
Maybe he meant my blue sky would be found on a dark one on a clear night
I watched each moon as it progressed from a crescent to a full moon
I stared at the sun, wondering if its glare might lead the way
Every raindrop could hold the key to my blue skies, once that final drop hit the ground
I searched and pleaded with whoever was listening in my silent room to find my blue skies.

But no one ever responded

My blue skies, never to be found, I thought
The sky - blue in the air, but never in my heart
I questioned him, quite angrily at his failed promise
That my blue skies he had taunted me with for me months were nowhere to be seen
I felt deceived by the one man who was saving my life
He begged of me to be patient, to stay on course
And so I looked at the North Star and pondered what a blue sky could really be
I waited patiently and stopped searching
And by doing so, I found those skies

Or better yet, they found me

And I caught the blue skies, with my eyes, my arms, my lips
Vowing never to let them go
My heart sang for the first time in many years
And I felt alive under those clear blue skies
And I vowed to never forget the special feeling of something so longed for

Finally found.

My blue skies didn’t fix everything
Nor would I be able to stare up at them for long
But I have never forgotten the feeling, as I vowed
And I find myself again each day looking out the window
Staring at the sky, hoping they will return
Vowing to never forget that feeling

My blue skies. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please hit the submit button only once. Your comment will be submitted for moderation and posted within 24 hours. Thank you!

~Andrea